Big Little Man
Pierre Thomas - Who Dat?
Once you get past the obvious choices in your draft at running back, and are left to choose from the "wild cards", one of the backs you should target is Pierre Thomas from New Orleans. In the high powered offense of the Saints, the running back position yields generous output, even with limited touches. Some factoids to consider in Pierre's favor:
* Everyone is Ga-Ga over Rashard Mendenhall. Did you know that Pierre Thomas started ahead of him at Illinois?
* Deuce McCallister's outlook for this year is dicey. He has already experienced some swelling of his knees in camp, and he is a lot like a car that has been in and out of the repair shop frequently. In essence, you know the next breakdown could happen at any moment. We don't see how he makes it through this entire season healthy.
* Although Aaron Stecker saw a good bit of action ahead of Thomas last year, consider that Stecker is 33, Thomas is 23. In the final game of the season last year Thomas had 100 yards rushing AND receiving, with 12 receptions. Who has the upside?
* The Saints coaching staff has reiterated that they feel confident that Thomas could handle the load of 18-20 carries in a game.
* Reggie Bush himself has an injury history. He didn't play in the final 4 games last year. Pierre is a double handcuff. If either Bush or McCallister goes down, the door is open.
So when you're looking at the likes of Leon Washington, Ahmad Bradshaw, Ray Rice, and the rest of the "wild cards", give strong consideration to Pierre. His team's system and roster situation makes him a stronger candidate than the rest to surprise.
If you haven't already examined the draft results from the recent Fantasy Players Network Draft challenge, you should. You'll see where Pierre was taken by the pros in relation to the rest of the "backups". Hit It!
|© 2011, FantasyMojo.com. All rights reserved.||Contact Us|